Got access to a set of stairs? Here’s why and how you should put them to use for a great leg and lung workout.
- Stairs provide resistance for your muscles: Compared to flat ground, the ascending nature of stairs means your muscles will work harder to propel your body to the top. This uses more energy and can also engage the muscles in a similar fashion to performing walking lunges or other weight training movements.
- Spike the heart rate without impact: Simply walking or lunge walking up a flight of stairs can increase the heart rate and get you out of your comfort zone without running or jumping. Add a few sets into a routine walk with the dog to increase the metabolic demands of that activity.
- Endless exercise combinations: With a bit of imagination, you can achieve a whole body workout in a short amount of time. Jog, sprint, bound, jump, lunge and use the steps to perform push-up variations or burpees. Check out my video for some examples.
- Offers a change of scenery: Simply taking your regular workout to a set of stairs offers you a change of location which is always great for maintaining motivation and freshening up mentally.
- Killer pins in no time: Due to the high intensity of workouts on stairs, you can achieve a very effective, high calorie-burning workout in a short amount of time.
Video stair workout details.
Perform three rounds of the following as demonstrated:
- Hop scotch jumps (right leg)
- Hop scotch jumps (left leg)
- Stair burpees x 10
- Lateral lunge walk
- Surfer squat jumps (these are HARD so if you only go half way that’s okay)
Give it a crack and let us know how you go!